Fall DIY Frenzy
Hey... Um, September? Where'd you go? Fall seems to be a frenetic frenzy of activity for pretty much everyone. College kids are back on campus, parents with school age kids are back to the school day grind, and even for those of us whose schedules aren't thrown out of whack by "Back to School" madness, there are a million little things that seem to vie for the precious free moments of our time. Just as I was starting to feel like I was getting into the swing of fall - BAM! - it's October and it's time to get your spook on for Halloween.
In addition to the normal seasonal rush, there's been a little upheaval here home. Plus a trip to Denver to see my bestest bud get married. (GORGEOUS all around and a triple hankie affair. I was the one crying the in the not-pretty way. Like a novice, I forgot to pack waterproof mascara. Gah. Thank goodness for hasty touch-ups.) Because I've been a little indisposed of late, I'm going to pull the busy blogger move and just give you a quick and dirty tour of what I've been up to on DIY Network's Made + Remade these last few weeks. I'm still not sure how time warped from my Fall Fashion post to now, but well, it did. So here goes:
- I did my level best to live up to the glory of Bash, Please with a tutorial on How to Fake Flower Garlands.
- I gave a rundown of 8 Inspiring Fall Decorating and Entertaining Ideas.
- Need to hide your TV? Check out my tutorial on how to Make Pretty No-Sew Curtains.
- I attempted a Pinterest-inspired project for a client (woot, Mr. Fox Composting!). The verdict? Wait for it.... Yup, nailed it. How to Make String Art.
- I got in the spirit of fall and baked something up. Then I consumed many of them. Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies with Mulled Cider Cream Cheese Frosting.
- I designed a Christmas mantlescape for the HGTV Holiday House, sponsored by Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. Yes, it was odd to get in the Christmas spirit so early. (It actually happened in July.) But it sure was pretty. And fun. And ohmydeargolly - I want to see it in on HGTV. Check out my Whimsical Christmas Mantle with Natural and Coastal Touches.
- And if you dig what you saw and want to Make Moss-Trimmed Burlap Christmas Stockings, well, now you know how.
- Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores came back with another challenge - this time to create a project for their #spookyspaces campaign. So I went old school and doodled on my Keds. Mmm-hmm. I sure did. Want your own Halloween style shoes? Take a peek at my Mother-Daughter Not-So-Spooky Kicks.
Wiped? You could say that. But I'm already hustling on - there's a whole lotta Halloween-ification that's about to happen. Elsa threw me a curve when she decided she did NOT, in fact, want to go as Little Red Riding Hood as planned. Her new must-have-it-or-I-will-melt-into-a-puddle-of-pout costume? A DINOSAUR. Riiiiiiiiiiight. I know she's only two and a half, but I'm gonna need her to cut me some slack. Momma's sewing skillz aren't quite up to par with a T-Rex extravaganza. Ooof.
In the meantime, I'm going to give regular posting the old college try. I mean, really. I can't quite keep on giving you guys the-dog-ate-my-homework excuses, can I? Howzabout pumpkin cookies, my treat? Then we'll be good, right? Mmmkay, thanks..